Sunday, September 20, 2009

Tis the Season

Fall is here! Fall is here!!
I didn’t think I was going to notice it, but I do, and it’s amazing. I thought it might be disguised by the heat and the tropics, but it’s as evident and lovely as ever.

And so I realize that a season is so much more than a change in the weather. For me, it’s a particular feeling of comfort and excitement programmed into my soul, only to be released in the month of September. It’s 15 years of waiting for my favorite time of year: the start of the school year! Woo hoo!!! I could pretend that I was sad summer was over, so as to fit in, but the truth was that I couldn’t stand the wait. Especially August. I liked to say that it was my favorite month because of my birthday, but that was a lie too. It dragged on by torturously slow, hot and boring and empty. At least that’s how it seemed at the time. (Wow, it feels surprisingly good to admit this)

Then you get your school supplies and your class schedule and life suddenly seems so full and exciting. Suddenly I am in my element. I feel, once again, a purpose. I have been anticipating this moment so intensely that when it comes I am practically bursting. My competitive spirit reaches its peak. I’m ready to learn and to kick some ass! Bring it on education!

And so it begins: the homework, the books, the notes, the tests, the football games, the tennis practice, the dances, or, in the later years, the frat parties, the new classmates and the exciting new crushes :) Oh, school! Glorious glorious school! I loved school more than I ever even knew. It wasn’t until it all ended 8 years ago that I realized how deep it ran in my veins.

Though the giddiness has subsided, it remains, through some biorhythmic magic, a part of my life. Even here in a remote coffee farm in the jungle, I feel that same sense of comfort and excitement. I’m in competitive over achiever mode, as I start this new project (details to follow), and it feels great!

September couldn’t have come at a better time :)

No comments: